[Uim] How to customize uim / ELatin for better mathematics support?

Michiel Helvensteijn mhelvens at gmail.com
Sun Aug 11 13:12:54 PDT 2013

Hi all!

Since recently I've been using uim with the "ELatin" input method, and
the "TeX" layout, to input mathematical symbols. For the most part I'm
happy with it, but there are two things that I'd like to improve, and
I could use some help:

(1)  The list of available rules / macros is somewhat limited. I can
add new ones in \usr\share\uim\elatin-rules.scm, but that seems like
the wrong thing to do; that file will probably be overwritten with the
next update. Is there a way to put extra ELatin rules in my home
directory?

(2)  I also make heavy use of the Unicode block of mathematical
alphanumeric symbols (the basic Latin alphabet in italics / bold /
calligraphic script / double struck / etc.). I'd like a convenient
input method for those characters too. It would be easiest if I could
enter, e.g., an 'italics mode', in which normal keystrokes will input
symbols from the corresponding Unicode block (a bit like your average
WYSIWYG word processor). Would this be difficult to accomplish with
uim?

Thanks in advance!

--
www.mhelvens.net