[Uim] How to customize uim / ELatin for better mathematics support?

Michiel Helvensteijn mhelvens at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 06:20:30 PDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Etsushi Kato <ek.kato at gmail.com> wrote:

> For (1), you can use ~/.uim to customize anything.
>
> $ cat ~/.uim
> (require-module "elatin")
> (elatin-define-rules elatin-rules-TeX
>  (your preferred list...)
> )

Ah, that's convenient. :-)

A request: I imagine it wouldn't be too hard keep using the default
list and limit my ~/.uim file to the personal rules that I want to
add. I could probably figure out how, but I'm not that familiar with
Scheme (let alone the uim codebase) and it would take me some time.
Could you show me the code for this?

>> (2)  I also make heavy use of the Unicode block of mathematical
>> alphanumeric symbols (the basic Latin alphabet in italics / bold /
>> calligraphic script / double struck / etc.). I'd like a convenient
>> input method for those characters too. It would be easiest if I could
>> enter, e.g., an 'italics mode', in which normal keystrokes will input
>> symbols from the corresponding Unicode block (a bit like your average
>> WYSIWYG word processor). Would this be difficult to accomplish with
>> uim?
>
> It is possible but it may need some amount of coding, like adding
> modes, handling corresponding rule files, and mode changes...

Indeed. I wasn't sure how much of this would already be taken care of
by uim and how much would need extra coding.

Thanks for the info! For now I'll simply use an ELatin key-combo for
every character.

--
www.mhelvens.net