[VDPAU] Weave de-interlacing

Stephen Warren swarren at nvidia.com
Tue Apr 24 10:58:37 PDT 2012

Andy Furniss wrote at Tuesday, April 24, 2012 11:25 AM:
> Stephen Warren wrote:
> > Andy Furniss wrote at Monday, April 23, 2012 5:40 PM:
> >> Looking at the spec on line I see that Weave de-interlacing is the same
> >> as no de-interlacing, which makes me wonder what the point of it is.
> >>
> >> Where there at any time other plans for it?
> >
> > No there weren't any other plans; weave de-interlacing is no de-interlacing.
>
> Ok.
>

> >> I ask because it seems it could have some use -
> >>
> >> If it were allowed to be called at field rate then it would possibly be
> >> better looking than frame rate weave.
> >
> > Weave by definition takes pairs of fields and weaves them into a frame, so
> > it doesn't make sense to use it at field rate.
>
> Yea, OK - I've never seen any different.
>
> I don't know what you would call what I describe - the frames would be
> weaved but only half the lines would be updated at a time, so not
> loosing as much temporal resolution.

That sounds almost like bob de-interlacing, although the field is stretched
to form a frame rather than being overlaid on top of the previous content.

I doubt a TV (or any) de-interlacer would do very well if it received a
progressive image where alternate sets of lines were updated; that's probably
not something remotely common.

--
nvpublic