[VDPAU] VP8 support in the VDPAU interface

Aaron Plattner aplattner at nvidia.com
Mon Feb 27 16:49:24 PST 2012

A while ago, Emeric Grange did a GSoC project to add support for VP8:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~emericg/libvdpau-vp8/commit/?id=d861763cce90b4e4f3e46ef624307e512dc63a28

I'd like to thank Emeric for getting the ball rolling on this and continue the
discussion here.

Not being too familiar with VP8 myself, I started reading RFC 6386 and couldn't
really understand how the named header fields in the RFC match up to Emeric's
structure definitions.

One of the proposed alternatives was to just pass the entire picture including
the header and let the hardware handle the decoding.  I guess this would mean
the calling application would still need to parse out the refresh_golden_frame
and refresh_alternate_frame bits to keep track of the reference surfaces it
needs to pass in?

-- Aaron