[virglrenderer-devel] Debian packaging, project status?

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Fri Mar 4 14:57:34 UTC 2016

On 04/03/16 14:01, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
>> Does it use any functionality of the GPU on the host (or is that the aim
>> in future) or does it do everything in the host CPU?
>
> Yes, it uses the host gpu.
>
>>> Nothing is known on this. No other driver can be used. Red Hat has an
>>> interest in doing that work at some point but there is no timeline, and no
>>> real work been done, so if anyone wanted to learn about writing WDDM
>>> drivers here's a good time to learn!.
>>>

>> Have you thought about advertising that for a GSoC student project?
>> Student application deadline is 25 March, so now would be the time to
>> advertise it.  It could potentially go under any of these communities:
>>
>> http://qemu-project.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2016
>
> I suspect it's too big for a gsoc project.

Is there any portion of the work, such as porting some library, that
could be feasible?

>> Have you also seen the KVMGT project, how do your aims compare to that?
>> https://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/KVMGT-a%20Full%20GPU%20Virtualization%20Solution_1.pdf
>
>> They only support Intel Haswell right now.
>
> Haswell support is proof-of-concept only will not go upstream.
> Broadwell support is available too meanwhile and will be merged
> upstream.
> Skylake support is WIP still.
>
> virtio-gpu will run on pretty much anything.
>
> kvmgt will run on supported intel hardware only, and the underlying
> hardware is not transparent for the guest (i.e. when running on
> broadwell host the guest will see a broadwell igd).  On the flip side it
> will most likely deliver better performance than virtio-gpu on the same
> hardware.
>
> The rendering/output path (spice integration etc) will be the same for
> both virtio-gpu and kvmgt.

Thanks for that feedback, it is really helpful.

I've created a link to this thread from the Debian bug tracker and wiki
so other people can discover what you are doing and look at getting
involved or testing.

Regards,

Daniel