[virglrenderer-devel] Running Virgl with Android on an emdeded system

Alain Magloire amagloire at blackberry.com
Thu Dec 21 19:40:28 UTC 2017

Bonjour,

Last year we were made aware of the virtio-gpu/virgl framework.
We were struggling to get shared graphics on an Intel system (GVT-g) for a demo.
We ended up doing our own screen forwarding, but still decided this year to check out virtio-gpu/virgl.

We managed to get it working on different system
- RcarH3
- i.mx8
- And Intel Apollo Lake

This is using an embedded OS with GLEsv2 for the host.
A few modifications were necessary to the virtio-gpu kernel modules, virgl and mesa/virgl.

So far we've ran Android-x86 (Marshmallow, Nougat) with google earth, map etc....
Linux/Wayland/X11..

We hope for next year to clean things up and if necessary and provide back any changes for discussion.

Thank you to virgl, virtio-gpu, android-x86, etc... community to have made this so interesting.