[virglrenderer-devel] How to measure performance of Virglrenderer

Gurchetan Singh gurchetansingh at chromium.org
Fri Mar 15 22:52:06 UTC 2019

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:50 AM Manish Jaggi <mjaggi at marvell.com> wrote:

> I am debugging VM glmark2 score using virgl and virtio-gpu-pci on arm64 platform.
> On Host I get a glmark2 score of 4000 while on guest it is ~100.
>
> Need inputs from the list on how to benchmark the components of the stack and what could be the possible bottlenecks. The stack is :https://www.collabora.com/assets/images/blog/Collabora_Virtualized-OpenGL-Stack.png
>
> I didnt find a way to benchmark virglrenderer, though there is a test directory but not sure if it displays any benchmarks.

There are no benchmarks in the virglrenderer repository.  Normal
graphics benchmarks (like glmark2, Unigine Heaven/Valley, webgl
aquarium) are used.  Depending on the benchmark, virgl is anywhere
from 20% --> 100% of native.

For benchmarking I recommend:

1) Use ToT virglrenderer and guest Mesa.  There's been some nice
performance patches lately.
2) Debug the slow benchmarks and send patches.  In the worst case, we
shouldn't be below 50% of native performance.