[virglrenderer-devel] multiprocess model and GL

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 21:03:22 UTC 2020

Sorry I missed this email.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 12:54 PM Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is just an aside to the issue discussion, but I was wondering
> before we heavily consider a vulkan multi-process model, could
> we/should we prove a GL multi-process model first?

I think there will just be the qemu process at first, with many GL
contexts and one VkInstance for each guest VkInstance.  Then there
will be a switch to run different VkInstance in different processes
(unlikely, but I wonder if this can be a vk layer).  I did not plan
for a multi-process GL model.  Do you have anything you want to prove
from it?

It would also be interesting to know which sharing paths do we want to
support.  I believe we need to support VK->VK and VK->GL sharing, both
depend on VK export.  Do we want to support GL->VK sharing initially?
We will have the framework to do it, but we might need to switch the
GL resource allocator to be VK- or GBM-based.