[virglrenderer-devel] multiprocess model and GL

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 19:15:09 UTC 2020

On Fri, Jan 17, 2020 at 4:06 PM Frank Yang <lfy at google.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> VIRTIO_GPU_CMD_CTX_ATTACH_RESOURCE sends the fd to another per-context
>> process.  VIRTIO_GPU_CMD_SET_SCANOUT works similar to in (B).
>>
>> (A) is the current model and does not support VK/GL interop.
>

> This should be possible as it's pretty much what the Android Emulator has already been doing for quite some time to have interop between GL and Vulkan.
>
> It separates the concept of a virtio-gpu resource ID versus GL/Vk texture/extmemory ID's. A single virtio-gpu resource ID (aka ColorBuffer handle or hostHandle in Android Emulator parlance)
> can be associated with both an external memory VkImage and a GL texture underneath, and the host uses either the VkImage or the GL texture depending on who's calling, after adding a bit of sync. Thus it achieves VK/GL interop via making the host do the work. In particular, if the host supports GL_EXT_memory_objects, the interop may be in HW.
>
> Android Emulator's workflow:
>
> GL -> Vk:
>
> 1. The guest creates a gralloc buffer or an EGL drawable, which creates a GL texture on host:
> https://android.googlesource.com/device/generic/goldfish-opengl/+/refs/heads/master/system/egl/egl.cpp#667
>  https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu/+/refs/heads/emu-master-dev/android/android-emugl/host/libs/libOpenglRender/ColorBuffer.cpp#195
> Now there is a global ID assoc. with the ColorBuffer (which is 1:1 with virtio-gpu resource IDs: https://android.googlesource.com/device/generic/goldfish-opengl/+/refs/heads/master/system/OpenglSystemCommon/HostConnection.cpp#227 (as evidenced by the minigbm backend for Gralloc))
>
> 2. The guest imports that memory to Vk: https://android.googlesource.com/device/generic/goldfish-opengl/+/refs/heads/master/system/vulkan_enc/ResourceTracker.cpp#1823
> and sends that same ID back to the host:
> https://android.googlesource.com/device/generic/goldfish-opengl/+/refs/heads/master/system/vulkan_enc/AndroidHardwareBuffer.cpp#168
>
> 3. The host reads the request to share GL memory with Vk:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu/+/refs/heads/emu-master-dev/android/android-emugl/host/libs/libOpenglRender/vulkan/VkDecoderGlobalState.cpp#2429
>
> and creates an external Vk image: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu/+/refs/heads/emu-master-dev/android/android-emugl/host/libs/libOpenglRender/vulkan/VkCommonOperations.cpp#1200
>
> and if HW interop is supported, the previous GL texture is nuked and replaced with the Vk image:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu/+/refs/heads/emu-master-dev/android/android-emugl/host/libs/libOpenglRender/vulkan/VkCommonOperations.cpp#1328
> Via GL_EXT_memory_objects:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/qemu/+/refs/heads/emu-master-dev/android/android-emugl/host/libs/libOpenglRender/ColorBuffer.cpp#898
> and the Vk image is updated with the previous contents if any:
Interesting.  A GL object is transparently upgraded to a VK object
when needed for export.  This enables GL->VK sharing under the
existing RESOURCE_CREATE v1 interface.

I guess I still would like to keep RESOURCE_CREATE v1 as-is and
disallow GL->VK sharing.  The guest needs to use a to-be-defined v2
interface for GL->VK sharing.