[virglrenderer-devel] multiprocess model and GL

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Jan 27 09:54:14 UTC 2020

  Hi,

> > And, no, "just pass though an args blob" isn't an valid answer.
>
> Can you be a bit more specific here?
>
> I feel like this is a stylistic issue rather than a technical one.
> Given the range of host allocator capabilities and the fact the
> kernel/QEMU just needs to know the size + caching properties + memory
> type (guest storage, host storage), it seemed reasonable not to expose
> such details.

Those details still need to be defined, and "an args blob" clearly isn't
that.

Not including the details in the virtio specification is fine, but we
need a *reference* to the details then.

We basically do the same with the execbuffer format.  That is defined by
mesa and virglrenderer instead of being written down as part of the
virtio-gpu spec.

In case you want keep the door open to change the format/content of the
allocator args blob we also need some plan for backward compatibility,
using a capset for example.

cheers,
  Gerd