[virglrenderer-devel] Float /integer interaction with undefined behavior

Tao Wu(吴涛@Eng) lepton at google.com
Wed May 13 01:55:31 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am trying run virglrender on mali and this uncovered one issue in virgl,
I am trying to get a fix but I'd like to hear from you since
that could save lots of time.

Currently in virgl, most register are used as "float", so for in/out in
guest shader like "in ivec4 in1" or "out ivec4 out1", we actually
are creating shaders like "in vec4 in1" and "out vec4 out1", but this could
work because 2 undefined behavior (according to opengl
document):

The 1st thing is: intBitsToFloat and uintBitsToFloat return the encoding
passed in parameter x as a highp floating-point value. If the encoding of a
NaN is passed in x, it will not signal and the resulting value will be
undefined. That means actually for some GPU,  we can't really get back x
with  floatBitsToInt(intBitsToFloat(x)) for some X.

The 2nd thing is: The general type of attribute used in the vertex shader
must match the general type provided by the attribute array. This is
governed by which glVertexAttribPointer function you use. For
floating-point attributes, you must use glVertexAttribPointer. For integer
(both signed and unsigned), you must use glVertexAttribIPointer. And for
double-precision attributes, where available, you must use
glVertexAttribLPointer.  For the issue I am hitting, it's sightly different,
but I believe it's similar: it seems we are calling glVertexAttribIFormat
while the attibute in vertex shader was defined as float, We also have
similar thing for output.
For example, fsout_c0 is defined as float in fragment shader while the
surface is in GL_R32I format.

All of these works fine with intel gpu backends. But according to spec,
it's undefined behavior and cause trouble on mali.

It looks like there is no type information in tgsi  (or actually they are
there already?) for fixing this, any suggestions?