[waffle] [ANNOUNCE] waffle-1.3.rc1

Chad Versace chad.versace at linux.intel.com
Thu Sep 19 12:04:22 PDT 2013

A new pre-release has been tagged, waffle-1.3.rc1.  The real
waffle-1.3.0 will get released on Thu 26 Sept.

I request your assistance in testing it on your favorite platform.
Specifically, I need assistance in testing Android and Mac OS < 10.7.
As long as the test application "examples/gl_basic" works on those
platforms, then I think the waffle is ready for release.

I tested this rc on Max OS 10.7 and Linux (GLX, X/EGL, GBM, Wayland) by
running `make check-func` and playing with "examples/gl_basic".  I also
did a full Piglit run under Gnome Shell and verified there exist no
Piglit regressions.

The waffle-1.3.0 release will introduce the ability create
forward-compatible and debug contexts as well as improved support for
Mac OS.  Details below.

New Features
------------
- [all platforms] Support for creating forward-compatible OpenGL contexts.
  See the documentation for WAFFLE_CONTEXT_FORWARD_COMPATIBLE in manpage
  waffle_config(3).

- [all platforms] Support for creating OpenGL and OpenGL ES debug contexts.
  See the documentation for WAFFLE_CONTEXT_DEBUG in manpage waffle_config(3).

- [cgl] Improved support on Mac OS for choosing the OpenGL context version.
  This will be needed for Piglit to transparently run OpenGL 3.1 tests on Mac
  OS.

  Previously, Waffle required the client to choose exactly either 3.2 or leave
  the context version at its default value, 1.0. Now, Waffle emulates the
  behavior of EGL: the client may request any context flavor, and Waffle will
  promote the requested flavor to the latest supported flavor
  backwards-compatible with the requested one).