[waffle] [PULL] WGL support

Chad Versace chad.versace at intel.com
Sun Nov 9 22:17:37 PST 2014

On Sun 09 Nov 2014, Emil Velikov wrote:

>As mentioned earlier here is a rebase of all the wgl work so far on top
>of origin/master.

Merged to next! So... what does that mean??? That means I'll merge your
branch to 'master' after it cooks for a little while and I'm certain
Piglit doesn't complain.

To answer your branching query from Saturday... Here's a *very tiny*
summary of the workflow I'm following in man:gitworkflow(7).

    - The 'master' branch should always be stable. At any time, it
    should be safe to cut a release off of master.

    - The 'next' branch is an integration branch. That's where the
    interesting action happens.

    - Topic branches are usually first merged to 'next', unless they are
    obvious fixes. After baking on 'next' for enough time to reveal any
    lurking bugs, the same topic branch is then merged to 'master'.

    - As explained in man:gitworkflow(7), merges between branches always
    flow "upwards" and never "downwards". That is,

        maint -> master -> next

    and never

        master <- next

    - Merges are preferred over cherry-picks. As explained in
    man:gitworkflow(7):

        Merges have many advantages, so we try to solve as many problems as
        possible with merges alone. Cherry-picking is still occasionally
        useful.

        Most importantly, merging works at the branch level, while
        cherry-picking works at the commit level. [...] Merges are also
        easier to understand because merge commit is a "promise" that all
        changes from all its parents are now included.

        There is a tradeoff of course: merges require a more careful branch
        management. [...]

        Always commit your fixes to the oldest supported branch that require
        them. Then (periodically) merge the integration branches upwards into
        each other.

        [A "merging upwards" strategy"] gives a very controlled flow of
        fixes.  If you notice that you have applied a fix to
        e.g. master that is also required in maint, you will need to
        cherry-pick it (using git-cherry-pick(1)) downwards. This will
        happen a few times and is nothing to worry about unless you do it
        very frequently.