[waffle] long-standing wgl pixel format issue

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Tue Jun 21 13:29:12 UTC 2016

On 06/20/2016 05:48 PM, Emil Velikov wrote:
> On 20 June 2016 at 15:46, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:

>>> Thanks for this Brian and apologies I did not spot these differences
>>> as I was writing the WGL backend.
>>>
>>> Here's a bit more comprehensive list, listing all the waffle backends
>>> and attributes.
>>>
>>> GLX/EGL:
>>> Largest - red, green, blue, alpha plus their accum counterparts + depth
>>> Smallest - buffer, stencil
>>>
>>> If requested size is zero - "largest" become "smallest" (but it's not
>>> said it will be zero), "smallest" become "zero".
>>>
>>> CGL
>>> One that "most closely matches the specified size is preferred"
>>>
>>> WGL/NaCL
>>> "At least", meaning that there's not definition if it's the "smallest"
>>> or "largest". Furthermore there's not mention that it will give you
>>> the smallest if you specify 0 :-\

>>> I'm somewhat inclined that the GLX/EGL behaviour might be the better
>>> choice. Then again I don't might if people choose another route -
>>> always smallest, always largest, a combination of the two, minimum or
>>> "most closely matches".
>>> In each case there's the issue (as each spec has a massive table) of
>>> how exactly to determine(sort) the config(s).
>>

>> I think the "choose smallest that exceeds the user-specified minimum" is the
>> way to go.
>>
> Can I put a minor correction - s/that exceeds/that meets or exceeds/.
>
> Should that rule hold true, even if the user have explicitly set some
> sizes to zero ... for example if they want an RGB8 (A=0) format ?
>
>> Suppose you have a system that has 3 color formats: RGB10_A2, RGBA8 and
>> R5G6B5.  An app could specify WAFFLE_RED/GREEN/BLUE_SIZE=10 to get the first
>> one,
> I hope for cases like this user will set A=2 ;-)

If you really need A=2, yes.  The default for WAFFLE_ALPHA_SIZE is zero
so the "smallest" config with R,G,B>=10 and A>=0 would be returned.  So
if there were a RGB10_X2 config you'd get that if WAFFLE_ALPHA_SIZE was
omitted.

>> or WAFFLE_RED/GREEN/BLUE_SIZE=8 to get the second, etc.
>>

>>> Now that I think of it I do recall seeing some heuristics on the topic
>>> in SDL and Xwin. Perhaps it's worth checking what they do and using
>>> something identical/close to it ?
>>

>> Sounds good. Do you want to do that?
>>
> Seems like I was a bit off - Xwin does not do anything fancy, just
> like most of SDL. The latter uses an algorithm [1] only for EGL, while
> we'll need to use one for GLX/EGL/WGL/NaCl.

OK, I'll see if I can make time to work on this.

I haven't seen feedback from anyone else so I'll assume there's no
objections to fixing this issue.

Thanks, Emil.

-Brian