[waimea] KDE & GNOME compatibility?

Dan Ostrowski dan at ostrowski.cc
Tue Dec 28 20:47:37 EET 2004

> On 28 Dec 2004 10:37:17 -0000
> me at gginteract.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >    Waimea looks really impressive. Unfortunatly I could not get
more
> >    information about it.
> >
> >    I am in the process of rolling out my own linux distribution. I
> >    want to know about the waimea compatibility with KDE and GNOME
> >    applications. I really want to include a light weight window
> >    manager like waimea instead of other clumsy window managers.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Ganesh Gunasegaran.
> >
> there are no problems, but you have to install kde and gnome's libs
> execute their applications.
>
> bye
> alfredo

Actually, there ARE problems. Kicker, the KDE panel, does NOT work
properly with Waimea as window manager. It shakes and jitters and
whatnot, making it completely unuseable. ( This is kde 3.1.x or
above.) Asking the KDE devs they stated that waimea, like blackbox,
was not a "standards compliant" window manager. I've not idea the
truth in that (though I know it's true about blackbox), but Waimea
will not work well as a KDE window manager.

--
Dan Ostrowski