[waimea] Curious Question...

David Reveman c99drn at cs.umu.se
Thu Nov 4 12:43:57 EET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 20:47 -0800, bryce wrote:
> I'm a guy that likes to hack perl once and a while, if you can give me a
> copy of what you want, and what it should look like, i think i could
> whip something up... be a fun challenge.
>
> if i can't complete it, i can at least make a dent in it for a real perl
> programmer to complete. The true power of OSS right there baby!

That would be great!

Writing a script like this should be pretty straight forward, old style
data as stdin to the script and it should spit out a new configuration
to stdout. I did convert some old waimea 0.4 styles to 0.5 and it's
actually not that hard, knowing how cairo works probably helps a lot.
The script don't have to be able to convert everything, if you create a
script that can do the most important parts that would be great and I'll
definitely put it in the waimea source tree.

btw, if you like writing perl I've got a few other projects for you as
well. :)
check out:
http://freedesktop.org/Standards/Home

I'd like to see a script that would use the Menu spec to create menu
configuration data for waimea and it could also use the Recent file spec
and the Icon theme spec.

A script that would use the Desktop Color Scheme spec to retrieved
default colors for styles would also be very nice.

> bryce
>
> David Reveman wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 02:29 -0700, Scott M. Likens wrote:
> >
> >>I have some old waimea .4 styles that I would love to convert to waimea .5
> >>
> >>I have no real desire to delve into xml and convert them, so I was wondering if there was a simple perl script that would convert them, and I could hand edit the problems easily?
> >>
> >>Just a wonderful thought.
> >

> > I'm not aware of one but it shouldn't be impossible to write one.

I'm cc'ing this mail to the waimea list as other people might find it
interesting, I hope that's ok with you.

-David