[waimea] Can't access CVS

Michael J M Thomson mjmt at internode.on.net
Wed Nov 16 06:13:45 EET 2005

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 13:45 +0930, SML wrote:
> Apparently there are problems with waimea not being compatible with
> the latest version of cairo - so unless you have an old version of
> cairo installed, then I wouldn't bother.

Well, older versions of Cairo are no longer distributed, but there's
nothing stopping you from using an older version if you can get your
hands on it, like Eoin Hennessey suggested, and Waimea's other
dependencies don't seem to be a problem.

> I also signed up to this mailing list about 4 days ago and asked a
> question about the activity of waimea and there was no response. In
> fact, your email was the first waimea email that I have received since
> I joined the mailing list.
No news is good news. Beats that annoying guy that kept posting patches
that didn't work. ;)

> Maybe another new lightweight cairo window manager will be released in
> the future.
Yeah, like the next version of Waimea perhaps? :)
  You have to admit it's got a lot of potential even now, and it's not
like the project's abandoned, the author is just waiting for the Cairo
API to settle down a bit. Anyway, the next version/rewrite will happen
soon enough, just like the several incarnations of Waimea that the
author conjured up before it (which also had people thinking the project
was abandoned inbetween).
  Oh, and you'll likely be waiting a lot longer for say, Enlightenment
0.17 or Aegis. ;) Metacity might be an option, don't know if the theme
format's been upgraded yet, but now that Cairo's built into Gtk which
Metacity is based on, it seems likely they'll add theme support for it.