State-of-the-Art OpenGL

Carl-Philip Haensch Carl-Philip.Haensch at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Thu Dec 9 12:11:32 PST 2010

> There's a couple of tricky things about GL in Wayland right now. First
> of, it's all EGL and GLES2.  Longer term we'll need an answer for apps
> that need full GL, but the problem is that libGL pulls in GLX and all
> the X dependencies.  The other thing is that there is no EGLSurface
> support in Wayland, you just render to a FBO and push the color buffer
> to the Wayland compositor.  We may add an EGLSurface for Wayland at
> some pointer, but for now there's a little more bookkeeping to do on
> the client side.

That means in near future there will be no GL Support?
afaik, libGL is based on X-forwarding, so there would be a need of
reimplementing all GL stuff of the X11 for a back-buffer-drawing
library?

I would like to know how the shared buffer exactly works. It sounds
very interesting to compose shared FBOs, but how is it exactly done?

Greets