A note on scheduling

Marty Jack martyj19 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 16:16:20 PST 2010

What month do we think it will be when we have a stable GTK that runs over Wayland.  Probably also need a Qt in order to cut over completely.  For example I have an HP printer and the printer management application is written in Python over PyQt over Qt and I would lose the ability to see how much ink is left in my printer if I didn't have Qt, since I do not have sufficient intellectual property to write a different interface to that HP printer.

Also is there currently a person looking at initialization, such that we could run GTK applications over Wayland over just the kernel DRM without an X server there at all.

I have not stumbled upon a discussion of "display manager" anywhere.

I am assuming things run something like, and there is handwaving here, init starts a Wayland "system compositor" that will start to manage all the video boards and monitors right away, and a Plymouth which runs until init is done, and then a display manager takes control from Plymouth and lets you log in, and then we start a session controller that starts the apps.  The "system compositor" manages transitions among the various user sessions.  I haven't yet fully understood whether the "fast user switch"/"new session" parts of this are covered by one of the Khronos efforts.

Apologies if I am running way ahead of what anyone is thinking about right now.