Wayland crash scenario

Mohamed Ikbel Boulabiar boulabiar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 13:08:51 PST 2010

Hi,

I was wondering whether we can find a better solution to the scenarios
where Wayland crashes.
You all know that for the X case, when it crashes, everything open is
lost, you need to re-login and you need to reopen your apps again.
Non-saved work will be lost.

Is it possible to change this for wayland ?
So when it crashes :
1. Opened apps will freeze automatically
2. Wayland restarted
3. Opened apps will be "reconnected" to the new instance of wayland
4. Apps de-freezed and work is safe.

Any comment on the feasibility of this ?
Do we need a new watchdog process for waylad only controlling this ?
Or something can be hooked starting from the kernel level ?