trouble running wayland clients

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Mon Dec 27 09:37:10 PST 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 5:06 AM, Ustun ERGENOGLU
<ustun.ergenoglu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> after a bit of struggling I finally managed to get the wayland
> compositor running under x(with open source ati drivers). The
> compositor seems to run fine, I can see the mouse cursor moving, but
> when I try to run the example client applications I get an error like:
> XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, falling back to .
> Failed to compile keymap
> disconnect from client 0x97985e8

The compositor and clients will look for the Wayland socket in
$XDG_RUNTIME_DIR but if that env var is not set, it will fall back to
'.'. XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is normally set to /var/run/user/$USER.  If it's
not set and you run the compositor from compositor/ and then cd into
clients/ to run the clients, the clients won't be able to find the
socket.  You can set XDG_RUNTIME_DIR to /tmp if your system doesn't
set it or just run the compositor and clients from the same directory.

Kristian