Ubuntu PPA Re: Ubuntu build tips

Chia-I Wu olvaffe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 10:30:34 PST 2010

2010/11/8 Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net>:
> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know why this was off list.
>>
>> Wasn't going to mention it until there was actually something worth
>> mentioning.
>>
>>> A PPA is a Personal Package Archive.  This is great because it makes it
>>> much easier to install stuff under Ubuntu.  Just do:
>>>
>>> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/wayland
>>> aptitude update && aptitude install cairo libxkbcommon x11proto-kbd
>>>
>>> The wayland and mesa packages haven't been completed yet.
>>
>> The build directions recommend disabling gallium in order to get intel
>> working properly.  However I've not gotten a successful build with
>> --disable-gallium added.  Unless someone has a suggestion, I'm going to
>> try a mesa without --disable-gallium.  Maybe there's a better solution
>> anyway.  We will need gallium enabled in mesa for Radeon and Nouveau, so
>> hopefully there's a better way to solve this for intel.
>
> Yea, this is something we need to fix in mesa.  The problem is that
> the EGL loader prefers gallium drivers, even to the point where it
> will load the gallim swrast over the intel DRI driver.  A better work
> around may be to not compile the gallium swrast driver, but eventually
> we need to make upstream mesa just get the load order right.
Mesa can be configured to build gallium-based DRI drivers but not
gallium-based EGL driver.  But it is not clearly documented.  I've
added a new option, --disable-gallium-egl, to Mesa to easily disable
the gallium-based EGL driver.  What do you think?

For a normal desktop which has DRI drivers, egl_dri2 should be the way
to go.  So along the way, I've also fixed a bug in gallium-based DRI
drivers to support surfaceless current contexts.  I've only tested
with nouveau, but r300g/r600g should hopefully work too.  A patch to
add the PCI IDs of cards supported by nouveau to egl_dri2 is still
required though.

>>> What's in there that isn't broken, per release:
>>>
>>> Maverick: cairo
>>
>> This is the stock ubuntu cairo package with gl enabled.  Untested.
>>
>>> libxkbcommon
>>
>> Brand new package for this component.  Also untested.
>
> Also, not API or ABI stable at this point.  I hope we can get it there
> for xserver 1.10.
>
> Kristian

olv at LunarG.com