Wayland and GPU hotswapping

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:34:21 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:53 AM, nerdopolis
<bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net> wrote:
> A feature that seems to be in some laptops, and is being worked into the Linux
> kernel.
>
> Would Wayland ever be able to handle this, when the feature comes into Linux,
> or would the display server always need to be reset?

Outcome of discussion between Dave, Kristian, Jesse and me while ridding a bus
is that we should add a way for wayland to ask its client to redraw
their surface
using a another EGL driver and that wayland server should be able to handle
client reporting failure doing so. Maybe i did get this wrong, feel
free to correct me :)

I think to cover all use case Dave presented we should have somethings
like this:
-wayland provide a list of EGL driver it can texture from (optimus case where we
can migrate texture from nvidia to intel)
-wayland can ask to it's client to switch GL driver and report if they
can switch or
not (i think this should happen in 2 step first ask and gather answer
from all client
if one client says it can't then forbid the switch, otherwise ask to
all client to redraw
with new driver)

All this wouldn't need restart from wayland.

Cheers,
Jerome