Benchmark of Wayland

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Nov 11 05:42:39 PST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 4:08 AM, Justin Lee <justinlee5455 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris Wilson has been playing around with direct-rendered cairo (cairo-drm)
>
> http://cworth.org/talks/lca_2009/html/lca-2009-024.html
> http://linuxplumbersconf.org/ocw/proposals/29
>
> and notice very promising results:
> * Gradients are 100x - 120x faster
> * Some painting operations are 50x faster
> * Text is 4x faster
>
> If I didn't get it wrong, Wayland apps are also direct-rendered. I'm
> not sure if Wayland runs on my video chip SiS 661 (I think it
> doesn't), but it seems there have been some successful builds and
> executions of Wayland as I can see in Wayland group and this list.
>
> It will be good if similar benchmark could be observed in Wayland. I
> expect Wayland will have the same order of performance as cairo-drm
> although it depends on hardware and driver.

cairo-drm works as well under wayland as it does under X.  But it's
not a way forward in either case.  It's a proof of concept to show how
fast cairo can go, and the challenge is to get cairo-gl and the gl
drivers to match that.  GLES2 is a fine interface for what cairo
needs, and there's no reason we shouldn't be able to make that fast.
It's not going to work on the SiS 661, unfortunately.

Kristian