Please Don't Use Cleint Side Window Decorations

Espen Sand espen at opera.com
Tue Nov 16 01:52:42 PST 2010

On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:55:34 +0100, Fabian Henze <flyser42 at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 2. I just don't believe that GTK, Qt and all the minor toolkits will
> agree on standards for window decoration and behaviour. That would make
> the linux
> desktop even more inconsistent than it is now.

I have been lurking around for a while and I am sure I do not understand
all the
concepts yet, but if one aim to replace functionality that, among other
things, serves
to decorate windows in a uniform manner, the replacement can not be any
inferior
in that respect. The toolkits (and applications may for other reasons
depend
on a special version of a toolkit) will never agree and/or be in sync all
the time.

I have no big problems to allow an application to have better control
over the decorations (if one take security considerations into mind) but it
has to happen through a common layer, perhaps a library, or a separate
program
as today, which all programs must use. One issue with a library approach
is that
an application using one toolkit may suddenly have to depend on anther as
well
because of the dependencies of the decoration library itself. I do not
think
anyone want a future where programs depend both Qt and GTK. Or perhaps
depend
one of them just because of required toolkit decorations (if no toolkit is
otherwise needed by the application).

--
Espen Sand