Please Don't Use Cleint Side Window Decorations

Graham Cantin kamilion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 03:02:44 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM, microcai <microcai at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> I guess  wayland just  *do not* want to render *anything*. Just composite
> composite composite composite composite composite composite
>

> 2010/11/16 Fabian Henze <flyser42 at gmx.de>
>> On Tuesday, 16 Nov 2010, 01:22:42-UTC, Dana Jansens wrote:
>> > I think it is important to point out that this conversation has been
>> > predicated entirely on the idea that window decorations and window
>> > managers are the same thing.
>> >
>> > Window management is - at its core - a filter for focus and window
>> > manipulation requests.  It does not require that the WM also draw the
>> > window decorations.  A window can initiate an move/resize just as well
>> > as the WM itself can, via a request to the WM.

It seems to be so, microcai. And it's a good design.

Reading the following message was important to establish context for
me on where in the stack "Wayland" fits.
Originally posted under the benchmark thread, but I think it applies
here as well:

--
[     Graham Cantin      ] | (408) 890-7463 - Google Voice FindME
"Never feel stupid for asking questions, feel stupid for ignoring answers."