Multiple Wayland Servers

nerdopolis bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net
Wed Nov 24 18:16:22 PST 2010

On Wednesday, November 24, 2010 09:04:51 pm microcai wrote:
> What ever it is , DISPLAY seems still be the best option ..... ^_^
> xhost is useless , Wayland only works locally.
>
> 2010/11/25 nerdopolis <bluescreen_avenger at verizon.net>:
> > Hi.
> >
> > Just a quick quseion is how are Wayland servers identified?
> >
> > In X we have the DISPLAY identifier, can be specified by an environment
> > variable, or argument.
> >
> > How is it going to specified in Wayland?
> >
> > Also, what will replace xhost? its prevent one user from running an app
> > in another users server to take a screenshot, or capture key codes, and
> > at the same time allow wanted user accounts, like a deamon or something
> > display stuff on the screen.

But DISPLAY is already used by X... If we are going to be using X clients with
Wayland, then there might be problems... Also display can also be something
like 192.168.1.1:9, using a remote display :9 on 192.168.1.1... I don't know
how Wayland would react if that was the display... If its supported, Wayland
probably would need to invent a new variable...

And as far as xhost goes, I know that Wayland is local only, but I guess I was
asking more about Wayland security in multiuser environments using the switch
user feature, and how to prevent authenticated users from spying on each
others Wayland sessions.