Who is working on the non-drawing parts?

Gerry JJ trick at icculus.org
Thu Nov 25 18:43:49 PST 2010

Den Wed, 24 Nov 2010 13:01:06 -0500
skrev Marty Jack <martyj19 at comcast.net>:
> Also, I don't yet fully buy
> into the part about no client controlled window placement.  We need
> some way for docks to position themselves appropriately.

Client controlled window placement is important.  Without it, you
can't restore multi-window sessions properly (or even single-window, if
position matters), splash screens won't be centered as they should be,
dialog boxes will pop up at random positions, and whatever else that
wants to put specific windows at specific positions on the screen for
other (possibly good) reasons won't work.  Some things may have less
valid reasons, but that's a tiny issue compared to not being able to do
all those things properly under Wayland.

(The option of having the window manager choose placement is good, but
it should be an option, not a requirement.)

-g