wayland screen locker and security in general

Corbin Simpson mostawesomedude at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:45:01 PDT 2011

2011/4/7 Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz>:
> If you have some input on awesomeness of dbus which I miss I am all
> ears but so far nobody could point out any advantage to me when this
> topic came to the table.
>
> Sure, dbus likely includes a protocol for passing around the messages
> but I am sure there are already dozens of protocols for serializing
> data into datagrams and/or pipes (which is what all communication
> boils down to in the end), and if the one dbus uses is in some way
> awesome and standing out from the crowd then the authors and
> proponents of dbus fail miserably at explaining that.

It's a de facto standard. People use it, people rely on it, people
expect it to be in place. This is really the other way around: *You*
should explain why dbus is inadequate and *you* should be suggesting
alternatives.

Speaking of which, what are these "dozens of protocols," anyway? Can
you name some of them? Can you suggest why they would be better than
dbus for this task?

~ C.

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir? ~ Keynes

Corbin Simpson
<MostAwesomeDude at gmail.com>