wayland screen locker and security in general

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Thu Apr 7 09:32:29 PDT 2011

2011/4/7 Joakim Sindholt <bacn at zhasha.com>:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 18:04 +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:

>> > It's a de facto standard. People use it, people rely on it, people
>> > expect it to be in place. This is really the other way around: *You*
>> > should explain why dbus is inadequate and *you* should be suggesting
>> > alternatives.
>>
>> I don't use it and I am perfectly fine.
>>

>> > Speaking of which, what are these "dozens of protocols," anyway? Can
>> > you name some of them? Can you suggest why they would be better than
>> > dbus for this task?
>> >

>> Since Wayland is not using dbus right now and is not going to use it
>> for its core protocol introducing it is superfluous.
>>
>> I was merely asking if dbus has some merits on its own.  The fact that
>> gnome uses it does not convince me.
>> This is somewhat offtopic here so I suggest that if your further input
>> relates only to how awesome dbus is you send it offlist.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Michal
>
> I'm going to save you some time and give you the only possible argument
> for not using DBus: remote wayland.

As remote wayland is not going to be part of the core this is not
really an argument.

> Anything other than that, nobody will listen to you as you appear to be
> the last person left on the planet running a linux-based desktop without
> DBus.

No, I am not the sole Linux user on Mars, I am living on the Earth and
there are many people using various desktops, including ones that
don't use dbus. Maybe you are living on another planet?

> Oh and the idea has always been to do socket discovery through DBus for
> desktop wayland.

Whatever. The issue here is not if the applications talk over dbus or
other plumbing but what they are able to negotiate with the wayland
compositor or other piece in charge of holding the desktop together.

Thanks

Michal