will wayland support multi plane?

Marcus Lorentzon marcus.xm.lorentzon at stericsson.com
Thu Apr 28 03:39:50 PDT 2011

On 04/28/2011 11:27 AM, Zhao, Juan J wrote:
> Hi there,
> 	Some embedded system provide more than one plan to work at the same
> time to get better performance. For example, one video running on one
> plane and one other video or graphics run on the other plane.
> 	Will wayland take this to be considered? One video on plane A, one
> window on Plane B, and the cursor in on Plane C....

Maybe the new OpenWF Display compositor will make this possible. As I
understand, overlays are not "standard" in KMS, but by abstracting KMS
with OpenWFD, any vendor providing OpenWFD drivers with multiple pipes
should be able to get overlays in the "demo" wayland compositor (as long
as the compositor is extended to make use of multiple pipes).

See
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland-demos/tree/compositor/compositor-openwfd.c.

I guess Ben can give more details on the target of this new compositor.

/BR
/Marcus