[offlist] Re: SGX driver support (yay!)

Christopher Friedt chrisfriedt at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 10:15:55 PDT 2011

Hi Mark,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> I have an r3 Beagleboard lying around and would love to install
> whatever distro/os you are using so I can join in the fun. What
> OS would you suggest?

It really boils down to personal preference. If you're willing to
dedicate gigabytes of disk space and quadrillions of cpu cycles to
compiling OE yourself, modifying one of the SGX EGL driver recipes,
then that would work. Otherwise, I suggest you follow Armin76's post
over at Gentoo.org [1] but substitute the Panda related things for
Beagle related things [2]. Installing Gentoo to an x86 emulator like
VMWare or Qemu is a piece of cake [3] with a minimal iso [4], and it
allows you to build your own x-toolchain in a few minutes (e.g.
crossdev -S --target arm-softfloat-linux-gnueabi). Then you'll have
all the tools you need to build the SGX driver [5]. You should also
get a stage3 root filesystem for armv7a as discussed in armin76's
guide [1].

I doubt there are any prebuilt images right now that would support
Wayland out of the box - it will involve some work.

If you feel like jumping on IRC at any point in time, I'll try to be
available on #beagle at freenode.

Cheers,

[1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/pandaboard/install.xml
[2] http://cgit.openembedded.org/cgit.cgi/openembedded/tree/recipes/linux/linux-omap-2.6.39/beagleboard/defconfig