Wayland with framebuffer devices.

PRASANNA KUMAR prasanna_tsm_kumar at yahoo.co.in
Mon Aug 8 06:00:44 PDT 2011

Hi,

Is it possible to use wayland with frame buffer devices? I have a USB display device which is capable of doing only 2D and no 3D (doing 3D with the limited bandwidth of USB and power constraint is not possible). The driver found in linux is a frame buffer based driver. Is there anyway to use the device with wayland without using a huge RAM and CPU? The CPU usage is high for video playback (more than 60%) but other normal usage does not take up much of the CPU. I just wanted to know whether it is possible to use wayland with it. Is it possible that all 3D and video playback work with normal GPU and send the final output to the USB device automatically with wayland? How hard that is to implement? There is no KMS driver for the USB display device as of now. Thanks in advance.

PrasannaKumar