wl_shell_surface_resize semantics

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Wed Dec 7 03:16:14 PST 2011

Hi,
Rob just pointed out something I forgot to mention on IRC:

On 7 December 2011 10:56, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> For compositor-handled resize, I think this would be something like
> the ideal flow:
>  * button pressed
>  * compositor sends button press event to client
>  * client requests compositor handle resizing

In this request, we'd need to send the provoking event, i.e. echo the
exact button press event we received back to the compositor as part of
this request.  In more pedestrian button-only setups, it solves issues
like the race where the button could be released before the client
asked the compositor to handle resizing, at which point you'd have a
grab you'd need to release by pressing the button and releasing it
again.  It's absolutely required for multitouch though, so the
compositor knows which touchpoint it needs to steal.

Cheers,
Daniel