RFC: multitouch support v2

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Wed Dec 21 22:45:14 PST 2011

On 12/21/2011 09:34 AM, Tiago Vignatti wrote:
> From: Tiago Vignatti <tiago.vignatti at intel.com>
>
> Hi,
>
> Following Kristian suggestions, I updated the patchset with the following:
> - driver now accumulates input coordinates to send along touch_down
> - updated the protocol touch_down event with surface field, meaning the focus
>   surface of a touch device
> - compositor now uses a touch_focus pointer (self explicative), where it's
>   picked when the first finger is down; all further events go there until it
>   gets released
> - not doing pointer emulation for now; that will come next.

Do we really want pointer emulation in the window server? I can tell you
from first-hand experience it's a nightmare. Toolkits should be updated
to handle touch events properly, with an option to receive touch events
and emulate pointer events for applications that aren't ready for touch
event handling.