MouseOver Texts

Carl-Philip Haensch Carl-Philip.Haensch at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Sat Feb 5 02:39:35 PST 2011

Hi,

I noticed that mouseover texts for linux are the same for each app I
use. So it seems to be part of the compositor/of X11 to show
Hover-Texts.

In wayland protocol, i did not find a request to show a hover text or
something.
Is there a plan to add such functionality?
A hover text would at least need the following Attributes:
  - Text (or img buffer)
  - Position (or maybe mouse position)
  - Timeout (compositor site? enable an interrupt request?)

I think hover boxes and notification panels can be treated the same
because they both are placed in an overlay, they both have a content
and position/size.

What do you think about?