Type safety of protocol calls

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 08:57:43 PST 2011

Hello.

I ran into an issue figuring out how a resize event made it's way from
window.c in the client to shell.c on the server. I think I figured out
the mapping and sent a patch that performs the mapping between the two
different types being used.

Assuming the protocol methods specified specific types like enum
wl_shell_resize vs uint32, is there some way to get gcc to warn about
the implicit type conversion? It would be nice to avoid confusion
about the desired type for the rpc calls.

I know building with c++ would allow this. Any reason we couldn't go
that route to tighten up the API?

Chris