[wayland] radeon r200 and "egl_dri2: add swrast" (mesa-from-git)?

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu Feb 17 08:31:15 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to jump on the Wayland train at the end of last year, but my
> radeon r200 is/was not the ideal hardware platform.
>
> Today, while checking mesa-from-git, I saw the commit "egl_dri2: add
> swrast" [1].
> I remember Chia-I Wu told me to wait for swrast EGL support.
>
> Thus my question:
> Do people like me have now a chance to see a ("stable") wayland (even
> a demo) on their screens?

I don't think swrast mesa is the right way to go for a un-accelerated
Wayland server.  It is possible to do this with the shm buffer sharing
and swrast, but a better approach is to not use GL at all if there's
no acceleration available.  A cairo (or just pixman directly) based
compositor could probably provide a pretty decent performance.

> Next question:
> (If Yes) What does the autogen/configure line have to look like?

There are still missing pieces, it's not just a matter of configure
mesa and wayland, sorry.

Kristian