Some of my thoughts on input for wayland

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 16:48:11 PST 2011

Chase Douglas wrote:

>> Er, grabs do have that ability: see the ReplayPointer and ReplayKeyboard
>> arguments to XAllowEvents.

That does not quite get what I want. Say for instance that the grabbing
program drags windows around. I want it to drag the window no matter
what shift keys are held down, as long as the program does not handle
that combination. But the only way to tell that is to ask the
application first.

XAllowEvents just allows a grabbing program to more-finely specify it's
grab. But I do think if there are passive grabs, they could be much
coarser in their selection (perhaps you could only grab entire devices,
or maybe *everything*) and "allow" would be the only method to "not
grab" events.

But this is identical to what I want programs to be able to do, so now
there is no difference between a grabber and a normal application. There
just need to be some rules in Wayland saying which one is first.
Hopefully those rules can be simple.