Checklist: Programmer viewpoint

Sam Spilsbury smspillaz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:40:36 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM, Marty Jack <martyj19 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Programmer viewpoint
>        Are we having background pixmaps and borders?  Should be always client drawn, yes?

No implicit rendering, please.

Implicit rendering was there during the time that core rendering was
around to save bandwidth from server to client. Considering that
clients now have direct access to buffers on the card, this is
useless.

>        Non-rectangular windows and an equivalent for the Shape extension

I believe nonrectangular buffers are allowed no?

>        Tracing, debugging, performance hooks   libXtst, xev, xscope, x11perf

This can all be done compositor side - since they get to watch the
requests coming and the events coming out. Perhaps a library to export
information about these events and requests would be useful though.
(It does pose a security risk for, eg, keyloggers, so maybe we need to
have some kind of security policy around this)

>        Selections as distributed lock manager mediated by XServer
>                Not aware of any examples outside of System Tray, XSettings, Compositing manager

There was a proposed idea on wm-spec to do the same for "desktop
shells" and the like. Perhaps this can be done over D-Bus.

>        Use of root window properties and top-level application window properties as general inter-client communication
>                Do an "xprop -root" and "xprop" on an application window on your favorite system to see how much this is used

Window properties are nice, but they came from the day that X tried to
do everything. Could we possibly have the window objects exported by
the compositor over D-Bus and we can store properties on them that
way? Seems a lot cleaner to me (rather than maintaining 2 property
systems)

Cheers,

Sam

Sam Spilsbury