Please no more Fullscreen cheats

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Fri Jan 28 06:18:59 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:17 AM, Carl-Philip Haensch
<Carl-Philip.Haensch at mailbox.tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I saw when you press F11 in a wayland window, the window will turn to
> "fullscreen" which means it will do the same crap as it does in X: Setting
> the window to overlap all windows, set the position to 0,0 and the size to
> w,h.
> As you see in X, this concept is not really a concept, it's a hack that
> makes linux unusable for gaming or other fullscreen applications because you
> cannot switch a program without closing the fullscreen window first.

Fullscreen mode has been discussed before and here's the most uptodate
and detailed post on the subject:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/wayland-devel/2010-November/000117.html

and coincidentally, it's just what I was doing last night.  There's a
patch here that needs a litle more work:

http://people.freedesktop.org/~krh/fullscreen.patch

but it illustrates the idea.

Kristian