Some of my thoughts on input for wayland

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:51:52 PST 2011

Alexey Zinovyev wrote:

> I think that all input can be split into "control" (things like
> hotkeys/keybindings (including text navigation), (maybe) can be passed
> to separate agent, separate agent (hypothetically) can e.g. map some
> hotkeys to mouse/multitouch gestures if user don't have/like keyboard),
> and "text"

This can still use Unicode. The key reports both a "key" string and a
"text" string. The key string is the name of the key and identifies what
is printed on the key or otherwise what the user might call it. Using a
string means that any new keys that appear on new keyboards will have a
usable name without waiting for somebody to define the numerical value
for that new key. Also means that obsolete keys disappear from the code.

The text string is the text that an editor should insert (this will only
work for very simple input methods, complex input methods should be done
by libraries in the client).

When the user hits the 'a' key the event might say the key is "A" and
the text is "a".