[RFC] implement log facility using syslog

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at intel.com
Fri Jul 22 13:01:50 PDT 2011

Hi all,

I wanted to use an already existent library for logging; the first that came
to my mind was one with syslog interface. I like because there is a lot of
implementations around, it's simple and kinda flexible. For instance, I can get
the whole system log together with the Wayland one if I want, or just the
latter separately. One even could send the logs over through the network to a
remote server or output it to a named fifo.

However, it seems people are not that excited anymore with syslog
implementations for some reason and implementing their own mechanism for each
software [0]. I tend to see also a bunch of Meego applications dumping log on
.xsession-errors. I don't get it, really!

A drawback I see, is that it requires a small intervention on the system
configuration, having to edit a shared file (/etc/syslog.conf) in a way to
route the messages for a particular location, say /var/log/wayland.log. So I'm
assuming and hardcoding LOG_LOCAL0 for wayland now. Ugly.

I'd like to hear your first feedback regarding the usage of syslog and also
regarding the API for logging. If the discussions will be too tense on the
syslog stuff then I think we just go for own compositor's logging
implementation.

Thanks!

[0] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-June/002682.html