Introducing xwayland and xf86-video-wlshm

Bill Spitzak spitzak at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:25:32 PDT 2011

Corentin Chary wrote:

> update screen geometry
> ----------------------
> how ? virtualbox have an .. interesting approach to do that.
>
> window geometry
> ---------------
> X11::_Screen::MoveWindow()     |  wl_shell_resize()
> X11::_Screen::PositionWindow() |  wl_shell_move()
> X11::_Screen::ResizeWindow()   |
>
> wl_shell_listener::configure() | X11::ConfigureWindow()

I would think that a rootless x-on-wayland would have to implement a
fake X11 window manager that knew how to talk to Wayland. The window
manager hints and messages is much to baroque for any simple 1:1
translation. Also this window manager would have to draw the window borders.

The actual X11 calls to resize windows (ie on an override-redirect
window) would translate directly to changing the size of the Wayland
window, not to the wl_shell calls.

Rootless X on OS/X and Windows has been done and some of these questions
must have already been addressed there.