subpixel rendering in wayland?

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Tue Mar 1 04:40:20 PST 2011

Hello,

I was just wondering about subpixel rendering and how is that going do
be done in Wayland.

In X an application is supposed to ask xrandr about current screen
layout, determine on what screen(s) the window is placed, and use the
subpixel order and screen rotation information to figure out how to
lay out subpixels in antialiased objects.

To the best of my knowledge no X toolkit does this. Last time I tried
to look there was a global setting of horizontal RGB vs BGR so I
turned off subpixel rendering completely.

Wayland currently does not support multiscreen but rotation should be
already possible.

Is there any provision for applications to get the information about
subpixel layout of their windows and is there any toolkit for Wayland
that honors it? Are there any tests in place that would make sure
toolkits render subpixels properly in various situations?

Or is subpixel rendering considered superfluous and unsupported by wayland?

Thanks

Michal