HPC (High Performance Compute) Architecture

jonsmirl at gmail.com jonsmirl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 08:42:24 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Josh Leverette <coder543 at gmail.com> wrote:
> (And I have been known to get overexcited about ideas sometimes, which may cause an idea to go from cool to killer)

A couple of years ago there was a startup doing exactly this for video
games. They would buy video games and let you play them remotely on
their servers. The game displays were converted into real-time video
streams. You paid by the hour. I've lost track of the company and
can't remember its name. You can do this in any OS, it does not need
Wayland support.

All of these remoting technologies are focused on providing network
transparent access to legacy apps. Since this is the world of open
source, another strategy is to simply alter those legacy apps to use a
network transparent UI like HTML5. If OpenOffice were converted to
HTML5 you could still run it standalone by running both the client and
sever pieces on the same machine.