Future desktop on dumb frame buffers?

Tiago Vignatti tiago.vignatti at nokia.com
Tue Mar 22 07:22:42 PDT 2011

On 03/21/2011 09:56 PM, ext Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:50:20 +0100
> Geert Uytterhoeven<geert at linux-m68k.org>  wrote:
>> Can Wayland handle fbdev APIs ...
>
> Yes.  Fundamentally, the Wayland protocol just assumes a way to share
> buffers between processes.  For the software raster version of the Qt
> port, Kristian created a shmem interface for doing that to allow the
> results of CPU rendering to be passed around without copying.  On an
> embedded device that would be one way to go.

In fact, in January I did some work for bringing fb on the demo
compositor. It is based on the initial work done by Yuval Fledel,
dropped here on the list. I guess no client was really functional on
that code, so...

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~vignatti/wayland/log/?h=compositor-fb

I hope someone find it useful :)

        Tiago