client side decorations

Kristian Høgsberg krh at bitplanet.net
Thu May 5 18:10:20 PDT 2011

Bill,

Thanks, you've basically made all my points for me.  I would add that
there are also lower level benefits to having the clients render the
decorations: when the entire window is in one texture, gl can do
bilinear filtering along the edge between the decorations and the
window contents, and we avoid jagged edges when the window is
transformed.

Also, the concern about not being able to close and moving hung apps
just seems blown out of proportion.  Yes, it's a neat feature that X
WMs can deal with this, but it's just about the only good thing in
that approach and it comes at the cost of all the complexity of trying
to sync the look and feel of two apps living in the same window.  And
realistically, how often is this really a problem?  I can't remember
when I last had to deal with an unresponsive application, and I think
I might have killed it form the panel or command line instead.  And
it's possible to work around this to some extent, by letting the app
specify a rect where the compositor should grab button 1 and start a
move, for example.  Perhaps a rectangle (ie, the close button) where
the application has to acknowledge buttons clicks within a second or
so, or it will be assumed unresponsive and the compositor can pop up
the "This guy is not responding, force quit?" dialog.

These ideas are still somewhat ad-hoc, clumsy, but still a lot simpler
than all the mechanisms we have now to enable the out-of-process
decorations model.

Kristian