Wayland Window Management Proposal

Mike Paquette paquette.mj at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:41:42 PDT 2011

This will pretty quickly result in toolkits, or at least app skeletons, doing something like:

	(void)max_unresponsive_time(MAX_DOUBLE);

I had an 'automatic wait cursor' feature in a window system I did, which when an app failed to process pending events for a few seconds, would automatically display a 'wait cursor', the dreaded Spinning Pizza of Death.   Naturally, app developers were insulted that the system would dare indicate that their app was being unresponsive, and demanded such an API.  Being the annoying curmudgeon that I am, I refused to allow apps to feign being responsive when they really weren't, as that wound up annoying users even more.  (System cues shouldn't lie to users.)

I did use the same mechanism to post notifications to subscribing apps when an application became unresponsive.  This allows an app that shows the status of other apps, like the Unity launch bar, to listen for notifications of unresponsive apps, specially badge unresponsive apps if desired, or offer a 'force quit' contextual menu item.

  Mike Paquette