Wayland Window Management Proposal

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Fri May 13 14:17:07 PDT 2011

On 13 May 2011 22:14, Elijah Insua <tmpvar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 13, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Casey Dahlin wrote:

>>> This is not about pressing the close button. It need not have an
>>> immediate response and people can accept that, there are workarounds
>>> and you close windows only so often.
>>>
>>> However, window resizes need to be responsive otherwise you introduce
>>> lag, possibly to the point that the person moving the mouse has no
>>> clue what is going on the moment a window resize is initiated.
>>>

>> You can always use the "rubber band" style of resize, in which case the window
>> only needs to be told about the resize, and respond to it, when the user picks
>> a size and drops the corner.
>>
>> In fact you can pretty easily do both, where the rubber band appears when the
>> window hasn't managed to keep up, so the user still has a visual cue to what
>> they are doing.
>>
>> --CJD
>
> Agreed, although I've always hated the "rubber band" technique as it makes windows feel fragile.  In the slow/unresponsive application case, they probably are fragile.

It may be rubber-band or it may be some other effect but either way
you need something to draw on the screen until the client performs the
update which will draw a "not fully updated window" in case the client
does not update fast enough and by some is "unacceptable in wayland".

Also note that this requires agreement between Wayland and the
application whether the window is resizable to a particular size.
Otherwise you might end up with a rubber band displayed forever and
both Wayland and the client thinking everything is OK.

Thanks

Michal